Saturday, May 31, 2014

SBA Assignment Botanical Illustration

Botanical Illustration Assignment #9
Strelitzia reginae
 
The assignment called for an accurate depiction of size, form and colour, showing a single species with foliage with a dissection shown.
 
I am lucky enough to have dozens of Strelitzia reginae growing in my garden, which bloom year round in sunny Southern California.  This allowed me to cut new flowers at all stages of growth throughout the 2 months of drawing. 
And yes, it did take me 2 full months, though I am slow :)
The dissection was a new adventure for me, with each one I picked having different number of Sepals and Petals.
 
 
Took one of the birds completely apart and layed it all out and numbered each layer.
There are really a lot of layers inside each beak.
 
 
One of my sketchbook pages, practicing with colours and techniques.
 
 
Discection of Strelitzia sexual organs
 
 
 
Completed Assignment!
 
 
Tutors comments abbreviated:
Good tones in the leaf and on the stems.  I would have liked to see a little more depth in the orange petals but it's nothing major.  You can take a bit of artistic license to accentuate the darker areas in order to make the areas in the foreground look closer.
 
Love the composition.  It's perfect for the plant!
 
Final Mark
 
9.75

 
REALLY happy with my marks, love these birds!



No comments:

Post a Comment